Okay now, don't fall off your chairs....BUT I did a little craft project!! I wanted to deco-podge a valentine box so I decided to just do it. I love the way it turned out! I can't say that I loved doing it though. It was very time consuming and messy...I don't like messy. HEY...maybe that's why I'm not crafty! huh...

Anyway.......here are all my supplies (for some reason the picture kept uploading wrong so it is sideways). I got a bottle of Mod Podge--more expensive that I thought it would be---, some really cheap valentine paper, a cardboard heart box, sponge paint brush, box cutter and my directions that I printed off from somebody else's blog!
So you're probably wondering what I'm using my Valentine box for......I actually call it the "I saw something good box". It's a little tradition that I started 3 years ago that we do in our family at Valentine's Day. In the past the kids and I would find a shoe box and wrap it up in fancy paper and I would let them decorate it with stickers, doilies and whatever else I had around the house. This year, it was MY turn to do the decorating! When February 1st rolls around, I get out my Valentine decorations and the kids start cutting hearts out of construction in preparation for the next couple of weeks. The idea is to catch somebody in the act of doing something good for somebody else...without argument or without being asked. Then you write it down on a heart and stick it in the box without the other person knowing. We have two weeks to fill up the box and then after dinner on Valentine's Day, we pass the box around the table and everybody takes a turn choosing a heart. ****very exciting news....this year, Riley and Luke could read the hearts!**** It is such a fun little tradition and the kids really look forward to it. What joy to see the happiness on their faces when something is read about them. It just makes them feel good about themselves and it helps everybody recognize the little unsaid things that happen every day. This is a tradition that I hope we continue to do every year. And now that I have a cute little box to set out for display, I'll be keeping the same box from year to year. I set it on a little table by the couch along with some conversation hearts and a picture of the kids when they were just babies. And how convenient...the little table (thanks, mom) has a drawer that we keep all the cut out hearts and a pencil. Now isn't that sweet? I have some more Valentine pictures that I'll post a little later. What are your Valentine traditions? I'd love to hear about them!

So you're probably wondering what I'm using my Valentine box for......I actually call it the "I saw something good box". It's a little tradition that I started 3 years ago that we do in our family at Valentine's Day. In the past the kids and I would find a shoe box and wrap it up in fancy paper and I would let them decorate it with stickers, doilies and whatever else I had around the house. This year, it was MY turn to do the decorating! When February 1st rolls around, I get out my Valentine decorations and the kids start cutting hearts out of construction in preparation for the next couple of weeks. The idea is to catch somebody in the act of doing something good for somebody else...without argument or without being asked. Then you write it down on a heart and stick it in the box without the other person knowing. We have two weeks to fill up the box and then after dinner on Valentine's Day, we pass the box around the table and everybody takes a turn choosing a heart. ****very exciting news....this year, Riley and Luke could read the hearts!**** It is such a fun little tradition and the kids really look forward to it. What joy to see the happiness on their faces when something is read about them. It just makes them feel good about themselves and it helps everybody recognize the little unsaid things that happen every day. This is a tradition that I hope we continue to do every year. And now that I have a cute little box to set out for display, I'll be keeping the same box from year to year. I set it on a little table by the couch along with some conversation hearts and a picture of the kids when they were just babies. And how convenient...the little table (thanks, mom) has a drawer that we keep all the cut out hearts and a pencil. Now isn't that sweet? I have some more Valentine pictures that I'll post a little later. What are your Valentine traditions? I'd love to hear about them!

3 comments:
turned out great you crafty girl, you! ;) love it! and the idea is great, too!
WAy to go Jenna! I think I will have to do that tradition next year with my kiddos.
Adorable! All our crafty goodness is rubbing off on you! I love the tradition too!
Post a Comment